
[I]s chemical castration an option for LDS gays? I mean, if you're faithful LDS & accept that for whatever reason the Lord has put you on Earth as a "eunuch" (best case, if you can stay strong), why should you have to struggle with incessant thoughts that are not just inappropriate now, but will be inappropriate in the next life, too, only serve to pervert any desires to have children in a celestial relationship in the next life. There is zero point to having homosexual thoughts, it's not as though they're a normal part of the procreation process - they're just an annoying, perverted form of biology, entirely worthless.And this from, heaven help us, a psychiatric social worker:
I have considered this dilema for years, but don't think much of it these days. "What is, is; what ain't ain't." Persons with sever mental illness do take medications, necessarily so! They take them with informed consent, voluntarily, and with increasingly greater success. If there are medications, which there are, that can help an alcoholic check his/her drinking should we suggest that the alcoholic not take the medications based upon the idea that it robs him of moral agency? What about the diabetic? I have seen diabetics, craving sugar, eat themselves into various stages of neuropathy. Medication can help stave off those cravings. Can we possibly suggest that because it would rob them of moral agency a diabetic should not take medications? In my view it would be immoral for those responsible not to do everything possible to get the person so sticken to take the medications that will provide the help they desperately need. If there is a chemical solution to help a chronic adulterer or a gay man acheive sexual sobriety, and worthy entrance to the temple, I AM ALL FOR IT. I don't remember questions on the temple recommend interview asking the kind of medications I take or why I have to take them. Do you?Over at PostMormon.org, this garbage is shredded. See below the fold.
You have t o wonder how prevalent that belief is that we read above. DrW at PostMormon couldn't believe how deranged this is:
In an earlier post, I mentioned that our pleasant little neighborhood (eight houses) was 25% gay by household.A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was looking for some used golf clubs for the 16 year old son of an unemployed single Mom in the next town. The son wanted to learn to play golf and couldn't afford clubs.
Ten minutes later, our gay neighbor knocked on my door with a very nice set of clubs, bag and all, and asked me to give them to the boy. These have since become the boy's prize possessions.
This and many other acts of kindness were reasons that I was shocked to read on the MADB board the other day that, had this gay individual been Mormon, he may well have had members suggesting that, instead of living in a mutually supportive and loving relationship, he should voluntarily chemichemically castrate himself.
When I actually opened and read the post, I thought about someone suggesting that to my friend in person, and almost wished that this Mormon author could have that opportunity.
For a moment, I imagined this Mormon individual receiving a personal lesson in gay pride that would take effect faster than any anti-gonadal chemicals. (But it was just a fantasy. Our neighbors are in excellent physical condition, but would never cause bodily injury to another except in self defense.)
I apologize if posting this seems inappropriate. But the more I thought about this apparently acceptable Mormon viewpoint, the more upsetting it was.
I have heard some pretty silly, and even (perhaps unintentional) malevolent, suggestions for helping apostates or potential apostates to come back to the fold and live in accordance with gospel principles. But this one takes the cake.
Again, if apologies are needed for posting this bit or Mormon insight and wisdom, you have mine.
If this is too off the wall to respond to, please just ignore it. However, I get upset just thinking about this. I makes me embarrassed to be a member of the Church, even if in name only (which I hasten to assure you is the case.)
I wanted to let this community know what kind of irrational (twisted?) thinking goes on in the minds of supposedly faithful members of the Church when it comes to what they view to be God's will.
Making this video has left me drained, speechless and sad. I am triracial: African American, Native American and various flavors of European American. Although we're triracial, my family and I primarily identify as African American. Mormonanswerman (a YouTube user) has claimed that African Americans do not like to have comparisons drawn between the GLBTQ civil rights movement and the A frican-American civil rights movement. Speaking as an African American, the comparison holds true. The history of discrimination may be be different, but the effects of hatred, bigotry and bias are the same.
The clear majority of Americans, roughly 69 percent, believe we should reverse the "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays in the military, despite the Supreme Court's decision to reject a challenge to it Monday. Most Americans believe gay folks should be able to fight and die for our country like anyone else. People are offering this new statistic up as some evolution of American enlightenment. But when you consider that less than half believe gays should be allowed to marry, it strikes me as hypocrisy more than anything else.The essay brings up an interesting question -- what if all of the gays and lesbians serving decided to come out of the closet? Would the Obama admin and the Pentagon allocate more funds to process and boot out all of them? It is the policy, right? Is that acceptable and necessary for our national security?We have simply sucked our minority and poor white communities dry of human resources to fight our wars. And now, we are being forced to reconsider our own hypocrisy in the treatment of gay people, not out of equality or fairness, but out of total desperation.
...The upside, however, to reversing "don't ask, don't tell" is this: Can we really expect someone to die for a country that refuses to acknowledge her right to marry? Can we honestly expect someone to give his life for a country that is still debating whether he should be a protected class of people under pending hate crime legislation?
Allowing gays in the military is, of course, long overdue. But not simply because we need warm bodies. It just shows the inherent contradiction and hypocrisy of parceling out liberty and responsibility. We are all Americans. We should all be required to serve. We should all be allowed to marry. We should be equally protected under our laws.
On the evebasicrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/champgne-glasses-graphic.jpg" title="champgne-glasses-graphic.jpg">On the eve of the 40th Anniversary of Stonewall, come join us in celebrating the achievements of the LGBT equality movement:
I'll Toast to That
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 6:00pm Charles Froelick Gallery 817 SW 2nd Avenue $40 beforehand, $50 at the door (tickets available here)
Attire: Pizazzulous
A special thank you to our sponsors: Organic Nation Spirits Devil's Food Catering Raptor Ridge
Music by: DJ Scotty D
Ticket price qualifies for the Oregon Political Tax Credit which means you can get every penny of your ticket price back at tax time! Click here for more information on the Oregon Political Tax Credit. Questions? Call 503/222.6151


No comments:
Post a Comment